The Back Story behind MrNEDBAG

I am a member of the United States delegation to the NATO Emitter Data Base Advisory Group (NEDBAG). I've been a member of that group for almost 25 years. In fact I've been a member longer than anyone else. I believe I've attended 40 regular meetings and who knows how many working groups. Somewhere along the line someone called me Mr. NEDBAG and it stuck. I've been told by many people I have the best job in the world and I tend to agree.


Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Where has all the time gone ?

Well it’s been 2 ½ weeks since my last update. Sorry it’s taken so long, but there really hasn’t been anything to report. There has been a negligible improvement in my sore throat, but that’s about it.

I saw my ENT doctor last Wednesday and he said I was doing as well as could be expected. He scoped my throat and said the primary tumor site is healing well and there were no indications of a recurrence. He didn’t have much of an explanation for my continued sore throat and tongue except that it’s hard to actually tell when the radiation treatment actually ends and when the healing process begins and ends. He said I should be feeling better in a couple of weeks, months etc. I told him I was getting frustrated with the slow healing process. He did give me an additional prescription for DEXAMETHASONE, a potent synthetic member of the glucocorticoid class of steroid drugs. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant. Its potency is about 20-30 times that of the naturally occurring hormone hydrocortisone and 4-5 times of prednisone, it’s normally taken orally and swallowed, but he is only having me gargle with it. It seems to be helping.

I haven’t taken a pain killer in 3 days, but my throat still gets what seem to be tender dry spots during the day. I need a shot of water every 15 – 20 minutes to keep the throat lubed. My tongue is also still tender, but the right side has healed to the point where chewing on that side isn’t too painful. So eating the last couple of days has gotten better. I’m also sleeping better. I’ve graduated to sleeping on my sides again, Yaaaaaa !!!!! I hated sleeping on my back. I only get up 2 – 3 times during the night now. I don’t have to clear my throat as much. I still have nasty thick saliva, but it doesn’t seem to gather in my throat anywhere near as much as it once did. When I wake up in the morning my throat is dry and tender, but 4 – 5 swallows of water seem to sooth things a bit.
We did a bunch of yard work this last weekend. It tired me out and I had to rest often but the activity did me good.

Long weekend coming up (Memorial Day), I wanted to take the RV out to the lake, but Terry thought it would be too much for me. I disagree, but she’ll win out.
I have a business trip scheduled for the 2nd week of June to the United Kingdom, but I’ll make up my mind next week if I’m actually going to attend. I need to be eating better and have little to no pain if I’m going to resume my world travels and I’m just not there yet.

So that’s it, not much change, but some improvement. ENT Doctor wants to see me again in July for a follow-up.

Back at ya a little sooner next time.

Miller, out

No comments:

Post a Comment