The Back Story behind MrNEDBAG

I am a member of the United States delegation to the NATO Emitter Data Base Advisory Group (NEDBAG). I've been a member of that group for almost 25 years. In fact I've been a member longer than anyone else. I believe I've attended 40 regular meetings and who knows how many working groups. Somewhere along the line someone called me Mr. NEDBAG and it stuck. I've been told by many people I have the best job in the world and I tend to agree.


Sunday, April 4, 2010

Treatment Complete !

Monday and Tuesday went well. Nothing new to say about the treatment except, I’m glad it’s over. Terry and I went out last week end and got a couple of baskets and filled them with munchies (cookies, crackers, sports bars, chips, chocolate etc.) and sports type drinks. I presented them to the nurses and technicians at both the chemo and radiation clinics. They were all great to me during the treatments and while the doctors get all the credit for the diagnostics and treatment development and stuff, it’s the nurses and techies that actually perform the treatments and have to deal with the patients on a daily basis. They are the life savers and deserve more credit.

I have follow-up appointments set up with everyone in a couple of weeks.

I guess you’d think this is time for celebration and rejoice, but I don’t feel any better. While the actual treatments are over, I’ve got to keep in mind that the “treatment” is all cumulative and so the chemo and radiation are still working their thing for another 10 – 14 days. I’m pretty much just in maintenance mode right now. Once I see improvement in my condition, lower pain medication, ability to eat and swallow, lessening of the mucus slimy saliva, then I guess I will celebrate. I have become my PEG. If I’m not using it to take in medication, I’m using it to take in nutrition or hydration. It seems like every couple of hours I’m hooking up for one reason or another. I also sleep a lot. I only sleep in one hour blocks of time, so I’m not sure it’s very restful, but it does pass the time.

Here’s a picture of me all slathered up.



I slather-up three times a day. I don’t see where it has improved anything, but it keeps the area of radiation burn moisturized and that in itself relives pain. Without the moisturizer, the affected area would dry up, crack and all sorts of nasty stuff would happen. Not to mention it would hurt like hell.

Because I’m not going in to work I haven’t been able to catch up with John Winegardner, co-worker extraordinaire. He mailed a great card from the NEDBAG members, a great book from the Spanish delegation and some Guinness paraphernalia (I can only guess from who). I’ve also received some great cards and emails from friends, family and co-workers. I’ve tried to keep up with thank you emails to everyone, but I’ve probably missed a few. Believe me; I am very touched by your personal comments and support. I’ve never been a touchy – feely, wear my emotion on my sleeve kind of guy. I’ve heard stoic a few times in the past. I believe this bout with cancer qualifies as a life event. At least that’s what one of my former insurance companies would classify it. It has changed me physically and psychologically, emotionally, all for the better I hope.

Prior to this event I had been looking out 30 or 40 years into the future, I don’t think I can do that anymore. That’s a hard one to get my head around right now. What time frames do I use? 1, 3, 5, 10, 25 years, or should I even worry about it at all? I’m not a live for the moment kind of guy and I don’t see that changing.

However, before this goes down some dark rabbit hole, I believe I would need a couple of cool Guinness and that ain’t happening for a while, so I’ll leave it at that.

Cheers, y’all!

5 comments:

  1. lova ya, hang in there- Guiness is waiting,
    Dagi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you all the best and I will pray for you! Be strong and take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, we missed you guys at Dagi's today... it's just not the same without you guys! We look forward to seeing you next time, and you'll be in our thoughts.

    Adam & Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. all down hill from here now right??? much love to the both of you.

    Sara, Carl, Laura, Jack and Diesel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johan van der MadeApril 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM

    Hi Mike,
    Its not I did not want but something is still wrong on my PC with Google. This is the account of Wilma.
    We are currently lifing on Curacao, Dutch Antilles. So not to far from your place.I'm still in the Navy working in INTELL. If I read your BLOG you (and the Family) had/have a not so good period in your live. Got the info thrue Mister G. Good to see that still a lot of old NEDBAGGERS are on the internet.
    Hope we can also come in contact thrue the normal mail.
    Much regards from a BAGGER from the Netherlands with his Dushi (Wilma) from Curacao.

    ReplyDelete