The Back Story behind MrNEDBAG

I am a member of the United States delegation to the NATO Emitter Data Base Advisory Group (NEDBAG). I've been a member of that group for almost 25 years. In fact I've been a member longer than anyone else. I believe I've attended 40 regular meetings and who knows how many working groups. Somewhere along the line someone called me Mr. NEDBAG and it stuck. I've been told by many people I have the best job in the world and I tend to agree.


Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Second Opinion Anyone?

First off, I went in and talked to Dr. Richard today. It was pretty much a replay of Friday’s telephone conversation, but he showed me a couple of studies concerning the use of Cisplatin and Erbitux. The weren’t side by side comparisons, but they were enough for us to make an educated decision to go the Erbitux route for treatment along with radiation. We also discussed the installation of the CVC and the PEG again. I agreed to both, figuring it’s easier to get them installed at the beginning rather then wait until my immune system is beat down and have to go into the hospital for same day surgery to get them installed. I may not have to use the PEG for 4 – 5 weeks (or maybe not at all). I figured if anything I could always use it for hydration if swallowing gets to be too much of a pain.

On to the second opinion. I met with Dr. Prestidge at the Texas Cancer Center here in San Antonio. He’s an ex-Air Force radiation-oncologist. We did the mandatory medical history stuff and then on to the review of symptoms and what treatment I’ve received since Nov 09. Then he did a physical exam and stuck his finger down my throat until I gagged. Then we got down to the meat of the reason I was there, to compare notes and pick his brain. Good or bad he confirmed everything the other doctors have been telling me and lowered my anxiety level about thinking the radiation technology they have here at Wilford Hall Medical Center where I am being treated is as good as anywhere else. He also assured me that the other radiation technologies I was asking about were not targeted towards my type of cancer or my stage of cancer. We discussed the chemo therapy options and he agreed that Erbitux was a good choice. He gave me some samples of products he thought I should ask about when I see Dr. Akins again that will address some of the side effects of the radiation treatment and Erbitux. All in all, I felt good about the second opinion and feel good about going ahead with the treatment doctors Akins and Richard are recommending.

More appointments later in the week; mask fitting and simulation run through. I should get an appointment for the same day surgery for installation of the CVC and PEG very soon. They want to give me my first dose of Erbitux on Tuesday next week and they would like the CVC installed by then.

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone, and you bette know this,AND___ YOU WILL BEAT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Dagi

    ReplyDelete